Sunday, March 3, 2013

If some primer is good, some more must be better . . .

 
     After a LONG soak in Simple Green followed by all sorts of chemical and physical attack to remove the offending flaking  primer, I have subjected the offending houses to a new and improved layer of primer.  I am using a Rustoleum product that is supposed to stick better to plastics so I am hopeful.  All portions of the houses have received a good coating (and then some) of the primer, so much that I was initially concerned with obscuring some of the detail.  This appears to be an unnecessary worry, as the primer isn't that thick and they are only houses.  Plus, better is definitely the enemy of good enough here. I want these to be finished in the worst of ways, which I need to guard against as I don't want the results to be the worst ever.  A greater concern is the lack of ventilation in the corner of the PanzerCDR fuhrer bunker that I use for painting/priming.  The smell of primer may be that of victory, but without a gas mask it should be avoided.  Anyway, I should be able to start the first coat in a day or so when the primer is fully dry and my lungs have recovered from the ordeal.  Frau PanzerCDR will also be happier.  
 
 
The offending components with a lot of new primer on them.

Precise temperature monitoring is the key to the proper adhesion of the primer. 

A high-tech heat lamp keeps the process going. 

No comments: